Ecclesiastes 11:9 Rejoice, O young man, in thy youth; and let thy heart cheer thee in the days of thy youth, and walk in the ways of thine heart, and in the sight of thine eyes: but know thou, that for all these things God will bring thee into judgment.
10 Therefore remove sorrow from thy heart, and put away evil from thy flesh: for childhood and youth are vanity.
- When you are growing up you were given rules to provide boundaries to help establish behaviour. However as you get older, you begin to learn why.
Old Testament/ New Testament Law example
Romans 7:7 What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet.
With that in mind… let’s talk about some Church etiquette
Have you ever gone to a library?
- If there is a certain way you are to act at the library, why not church?
1 Timothy 3:14 These things write I unto thee, hoping to come unto thee shortly:
15 But if I tarry long, that thou mayest know how thou oughtest to behave thyself in the house of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth.
- It is important to worship and to come to church, but it is also important how we worship and what we do at church.
- Here are a few things to help you get more out of church and more out of God’s word.
Preparing for Worship.
Preparing for church is a key point to make sure that you get the most out of church.
- The night before church.
Get things laid out the night before… so you are not rushed and aggravated in the morning.
Make sure your heart and mind is prepared and ready before you get to church.
2 Timothy 2:21 If a man therefore purge himself from these, he shall be a vessel unto honour, sanctified, and meet for the master’s use, and prepared unto every good work.
- Find and Bring your Bible
Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
- Pray before the service
Pray for your Pastor and teachers – They have a big job.
Hebrews 13:17 Obey them that have the rule over you, and submit yourselves: for they watch for your souls, as they that must give account, that they may do it with joy, and not with grief: for that is unprofitable for you.
- Come for the Right Reason (Leave the attitudes at home)
1 Thessalonians 5:19 Quench not the Spirit.
20 Despise not prophesyings.
Singing – A Fundamental part of worship
Psalms 98:4 Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all the earth: make a loud noise, and rejoice, and sing praise.
Prayer – The way we talk to God
- Pray not play… one letter could mean eternity
Philippians 4:6 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.
7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
Creating a distraction
1 Corinthians 7:35 And this I speak for your own profit; not that I may cast a snare upon you, but for that which is comely, and that ye may attend upon the Lord without distraction.
- There may be visitors in here that have never been to church before. They don’t know they ought to behave in the house of God… They are Watching YOU!
Think about those things that may be a distraction:
- Putting your feet up on the chair or pew in front of you
- Getting up and going to the bathroom
- Cell phone
2 Corinthians 2:11 Lest Satan should get an advantage of us: for we are not ignorant of his devices.
These little distractions are just what satan needs to keep someone who from getting saved…
Invitation – perhaps our most sacred time.
- Pastors develop habits
- Invitation is not the time to prepare to leave, it is the time you do business with God. – Distractions will keep others from doing so.
1 Timothy 3:15 But if I tarry long, that thou mayest know how thou oughtest to behave thyself in the house of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth.