- The optimist says the glass is half full.
- The pessimist says the glass is half empty.
- The Conservative says the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
- The Liberal says the glass contains half the required amount of water needed for it to overflow.
- The cynic wonders who drank the other half.
- The Scientologist says it’s not about whether the glass is half empty or half full, it’s whether there is really something in the glass at all.
- The Mother of a persistently demanding five-year-old says; sweetheart it’s whatever you want it to be, just please let me have five minutes peace and quiet.
- The TV Evangelist says “I will expose the question and accentuate the answer of why God has stricken this poor glass with the burden of water.. all for a love offering of $59.95!”
- The physicist says that the glass is not empty at all – it is half-filled with water and half-filled with air – hence, the glass is full!
- The Neat Freak would not leave the glass sitting there long enough for anyone to consider the question, but would scoop it up, wash it up, dry it to a gleaming shine and put it back in the glass cabinet in a jiffy.
- The Marine says make the glass do push-ups until it sweats itself empty!
- The insomniac will be up all night wrestling with the question.
- The opportunist says, “Thanks, folks! While you were debating it, I drank it.“
- Stress about relationships
- Stress about jobs
- Stress about money
- Stress about the ministry
- Stress about … whatever
- Mingled within that are spiritual things… in the end we fill the glass up.
Psalm 38:4 For mine iniquities are gone over mine head: as an heavy burden they are too heavy for me.
Malachi 1:1 The burden of the word of the LORD to Israel by Malachi.
How then do we relieve our burden?
2 Kings 4:1 Now there cried a certain woman of the wives of the sons of the prophets unto Elisha, saying, Thy servant my husband is dead; and thou knowest that thy servant did fear the LORD: and the creditor is come to take unto him my two sons to be bondmen.
2 And Elisha said unto her, What shall I do for thee? tell me, what hast thou in the house? And she said, Thine handmaid hath not any thing in the house, save a pot of oil.
3 Then he said, Go, borrow thee vessels abroad of all thy neighbours, even empty vessels; borrow not a few.
4 And when thou art come in, thou shalt shut the door upon thee and upon thy sons, and shalt pour out into all those vessels, and thou shalt set aside that which is full.
5 So she went from him, and shut the door upon her and upon her sons, who brought the vessels to her; and she poured out.
6 And it came to pass, when the vessels were full, that she said unto her son, Bring me yet a vessel. And he said unto her, There is not a vessel more. And the oil stayed.
7 Then she came and told the man of God. And he said, Go, sell the oil, and pay thy debt, and live thou and thy children of the rest.
God needs EMPTY Vessels to be able to fill.
We must pour out the things of the world and be filled with the things of God!
Psalm 62:8 Trust in him at all times; ye people, pour out your heart before him: God is a refuge for us.
Romans 12:2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.
Change will come into our lives when we stop adding God to the glass like a supplement but rather pour out the mingled ways of the world and make ourselves an empty vessel, clean and ready for God to fill!
2 Corinthians 10:5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;
If you haven’t accepted Christ tonight… all you are doing is pouring clean water into the world‘s cup… then when you try to pour yourself out… there’s nothing there… just a mass of unrighteousness that can’t get to heaven.. (Powder cup)
Tonight you need a new glass, pure and clean… empty, that God may fill it.
Christian.. Have you filled your clean vessel with the burdens of this world?
Pour yourself out tonight and have an empty vessel that God can fill.