Romans 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.
Power can be a noun or a verb meaning it exists where it is used or not. More simply power means to supply.
We understand power today by the things it can provide:
- It takes power to turn on the lights
- It takes power to turn on the TV
- It takes power to turn on the video games
- It takes power to charge cell phones
- It takes power to make a car go
- It takes power to make the buses go
You see the power is there (noun) but when it is used it become an action (Verb)
- At the wall socket there is power, ready to work (as long as the Church pays the bill)
- In this room these lights are ready to come on, if you flip the switch.
- But a lot of things take place behind the scenes to make that power available for you…
Just like a lot of things went on to create the power of salvation
Matthew 28:18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.
Jesus came and made a way for us to go to heaven. The Bible calls it the Gospel.
1 Corinthians 15:3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;
4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:
- That Gospel is the power of God through Jesus Christ… Romans 1:16
Now what if you sat in a dark room, the power was there to light the room, but you never flipped the switch.
That is what it is like when the invitation is given to get saved and people just sit there.
- Remember power is to supply – examples as there is time
Philippians 4:19 But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus.
Psalms 119:105 Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.
God has supplied all the power we need through the word of God, we just need to plug into it.
Psalms 119:130 The entrance of thy words giveth light; it giveth understanding unto the simple.
John 8:12 Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.
1 John 1:7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.
Romans 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation…
This morning the power has been supplied through Jesus and His word, the Bible. It’s the power that you can plug into this morning and get the light that lasts for all eternity.
The power of God