1 Thessalonians 5 gives a nice guide to having a victorious life. Starting in verse 16 it lists those things that, if we are diligent, will help us be more fruitful in our Christian lives.
1 Thessalonians 5:16 Rejoice evermore.
We should be Christians that are always rejoicing. To give the world something for the world to see… God through us.
2 Corinthians 6:10 As sorrowful, yet alway rejoicing; as poor, yet making many rich; as having nothing, and yet possessing all things.
17 Pray without ceasing.
• Ephesians 6:18 Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;
18 In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.
So many roaming around wondering what God’s will is… well He shows you! Being thankful.
• Ephesians 5:19 Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord;
20 Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ;
• Colossians 3:16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.
17 And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.
19 Quench not the Spirit.
For every Christian that gets excited for the things of God, it’s seems they’re 3 that are there to mock them or tell them “you’ll get over it”… especially among Christians?!
• Ephesians 4:28 Let him that stole steal no more: but rather let him labour, working with his hands the thing which is good, that he may have to give to him that needeth.
29 Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.
30 And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.
20 Despise not prophesyings.
Is he done yet? What time is church over? Preaching on this again? Prophesyings in new testament churches is preaching. What are we coming to church for?
• 2 Timothy 4:2 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.
3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;
4 And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.
21 Prove all things; hold fast that which is good.
When we find those tested and pure things in our life… hold on to them.
• 1 John 4:1 Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.
• 1 Corinthians 2:13 Which things also we speak, not in the words which man’s wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.
• Galatians 6:9 And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.
10 As we have therefore opportunity, let us do good unto all men, especially unto them who are of the household of faith.
22 Abstain from all appearance of evil.
This should go without much speaking, but it’s important enough for God to mention. If the world does it… we shouldn’t. Pretty simple. It does not matter if we have liberty in Christ… it instantly damages our testimony when we act like the world, talk like the world, sing like the world…
1 Peter 2:16 As free, and not using your liberty for a cloke of maliciousness, but as the servants of God.
23 And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.
These practices will bless us and allow us to become who God wants us to be. When we set ourselves aside and become vessels for Him…!
• Titus 2:11 For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men,
12 Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world;
13 Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;
14 Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.
15 These things speak, and exhort, and rebuke with all authority. Let no man despise thee.